Tuesday, February 1, 2011

oh, baby

i know what you're thinking. and you're wrong. heehee.

yesterday was my deadline day for year-end reports, w2s, and all ugly things tax-related. so, after about 4 hours of sleep and 9 hours of stressful work day, the law student and i had dinner. my highly dramatized drinking-binge consisted of one beer, sipped slowly. to more completely round out my meal and my day, i needed ice cream, so we drove over to the gas station that has a little freezer full of bluebell pints.

i spent what is possibly too long picking out flavors and ended up in line behind 3 young frat boys, all who can grow more facial hair than my 30-year-old husband, who were all buying cigarettes. as the last one was carded, the clerk asked for his birthday.

"twelve eleven ninety-one."

what?

i asked the cashier to be sure i heard him correctly. i had.

i still think of myself as college-age. insert denial here. hearing that kid's birthday, coupled with the 3 gray hairs i had yanked out earlier that morning, was just another rude reminder that i am, in fact, NOT, no matter how young i look or feel.

thanks, life.

p.s. to the scruffy dude with glasses and mismatched clothes who didn't hold the door open for me? you're rude and your clothes are ugly and you need to shave.

3 comments:

Laura @ Our Messy Messy Life said...

Oh yes. There is nothing like living in a college town to remind you that you are officially an adult. I am most reminded when girls walk their dogs and ask their dogs if they saw my babies.....

And, their pretty creamy skin. Did my skin look that good at 18?

Kissey said...

that kid was younger than my baby sister, who i generally use as a benchmark when deciding whether or not someone is "old."

as far as skin - mine looked better then than now. sad.

Shelby said...

Have I told you lately that I love you... Your blog made me laugh. I have the same problem. Tucson is also a college town and I hate young, cute 18 yr old girls.

I'm 26 feelin' more like 43...(Corey Smith)