Tuesday, October 26, 2010

domestic goddess

so, last night, i cleaned out my cabinets (well, the ones that store food). this little adventure started out with me just wanting to get some glass out of the cabinets to give to my grandmother. i've told you i inexplicably save glass jars, right? well, i do, and until last night i had a whole shelf full. but i digress.

my grandmother makes jelly for fun. she really has no one to cook for, and can't possibly consume or give away all the jelly she makes, but make it she does. and it is gooooooood. i currently have multiples of muscadine, strawberry, apple, and blueberry peach in my fridge, along with 2 jars of sweet pickles and some jarred figs. bad thing is, i don't often eat breakfast, so all that jelly just sits there in the top shelf of my fridge, being lonely and looking yummy. don't tell my grandmother this.

well, i tend to get carried away. my grandmother told me that if i had any glass, i could give it to her. so i started collecting the forgotten jars from my cabinets last night to clean and de-label to give to her. that turned into me cleaning out and re-organizing the entire upper north face of my kitchen cabinets (next, the lower levels). the law student kept coming into the kitchen periodically to ask me when i was making dinner and found me standing on the oven, with our entire non-perishable food supply crammed onto any available counter space. he did get dinner, but not until after i made him look at my handy-work and make the obligatory compliments to my awesome domestic skills.

i didn't give all my glass away, though. i saved some out of principle. tonight, we shall drink from mason jars.

next on my list: mom's pecan pie and grandma's dream cookies.

No comments: