Tuesday, March 23, 2010

on my heart

Luke 14:"Hate family, pick up cross, give up everything” - A lot different than admit, believe, confess & pray a prayer.

that is from david platt's facebook page. (check him out here for more information.) it's a pretty strong and discomforting statement, and yet, the gospel truth. but i never heard that in sunday school. i struggle with God's plan for my life--about how i am living for Him, showing His love through my every word, thought and action. i fail Him a lot more than i care to think about. it's easy to get caught up in myself, my "needs," my comfort. but my comfort does not advance His kingdom. i often feel very small and very inadequate and very much at a loss as to how to "do" it.

and then there are servants like Katie. here is a young girl who left her family to care for orphans in uganda. she has adopted 14 of them. she gave up everything to take up her cross and care for those the world has forgotten. she is an example of hear and obey, the hands and feet of Christ, obedience and faith, because faith without works is dead. now, i do not feel called to move to africa and adopt children, but she continues to inspire me to live out my faith, which still a work in progress.

and that is what i really desire--a life of servitude to my Father, for His glory and His kingdom. but that life is a choice, every day. every day, life and death are set before us, and we must choose which path to walk. our very lives, mortal and eternal, depend on it. americans have been given so much simply by being born in this country, and to whom much is given, much is expected. so i ask for prayer, that i may continue to seek my place and my post in His kingdom here on earth, and that i will not grow weary, or more likely, distracted.

No comments: