Tuesday, June 22, 2010

the butter incident

so, i made butter this morning. on accident. say what?

we just got home from boston sunday afternoon (pictures forthcoming, as soon as certain someones email me pictures), and i thought i had enough cream in the fridge. in case you care/didn't know, i like my coffee strong, with a spoonful of sugar but not too sweet and a few tablespoons of cream, enough to make it a nice dark caramel color. i'm estimating, as i don't measure the cream (or anything really, for that matter) or use a tablespoon for it. maybe you've read my posts on the dairy here in small town, where i get my dairy products. i only use the real stuff. i take my coffee and my dairy seriously.

so, monday morning, coffee is brewed, and the cream i thought i had is nothing but the solid pieces stuck on the glass. i try to pour in milk, but it was puzzlingly partially frozen and the little bit i poured out turned my coffee a nasty gray color, not dark caramel. after adjusting the refrigerator setting, i abandoned my coffee and opted for tea instead. no small feat.

so, i got my cream yesterday and was very much looking forward to this morning's cup of joe. i pour the coffee and got the cream out of the fridge. it was frozen, too. seriously? so i run (cold) water over the glass to defrost it and when i see some liquid moving around, i shake the glass to break up the frozen cream and defrost it some more.

and that is where i make my non-fatal, delicious but not entirely convenient mistake. you know how back in the olden days you had to churn cream to make butter? yeah, well, not what i'm thinking at 7:30 on any given morning. i open the cream and see what i think is still frozen cream, so i get out a knife to punch through it. only it glides through it like, well, butter. i'm pretty sure some of it made its way into my coffee. and it was tasty.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Oh my! Never thought of butter flavored coffee. Thanks for splashing with me today. You always bring a tidal wave of encouragement.

Hugs for your day,
Sara